Saturday, March 20, 2010

Public Apology to Big Girls Browse!

I must make a public mia culpa for being so rude to someone I respect and admire when I called the name of the site Big Girls Browse "horrible" in my last post. After I read the comment here by that site's creator (!!), I immediately regretted being so critical.

I have never heard the British phrase "big girl's blouse", so I did not understand the name at all. I really hate terms like "plus size", and I was thinking that I would rather not be a "big girl" either, though I certainly identify with exactly the population of women she is addressing. I would like normal, healthy, "full figured" (another icky term) women like myself to be collectively assumed to be the normal ones. I think the skinny winnies should have to carry any label that identifies someone as outside the norm. I did not understand the name of the site, and it gave me an image of "big girls" only being able to browse in the world of fashion, not fully participate - which didn't make sense to me given her perspective. But I should have asked questions instead of condemning what I didn't understand!

I have to admit that if I ever thought that the amazing and wonderful Gemma would ever find little old me online, I would never have been so publicly critical of anything about it. This is a great lesson for me in making sure you really want to stand by what you publish, even where you think no one is reading.

I love the site, and the images and resources provided for us there are so valuable on a societal level, as well as being just plain fun to indulge in. Thank you, Gemma, for your sharing your work and your style with the world - and for explaining the name of your site to us ignorant Americans!

Also, you all should have heard my screams of GLEE when I saw that Danielle from WWEPW? commented on MY blog. I had to nearly be scraped off the ceiling. I might have been as excited to hear from Gemma if I hadn't been so horribly embarrassed by my own thoughtless words...

1 comment:

  1. absolutely no need for this, but thank you! :-) Hopefully you got my email.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete